RURA mandate in the sanitation sub-sector is to promote sanitation through regulation of sanitation services.
The responsibility of the sanitation regulation is to establish regulatory tools necessary for the sound regulation of sanitation services in Rwanda, licensing sanitation service provision, monitor compliance by licensees with license terms and conditions through audits and inspections conducted to sanitation service providers and analyze reports from sanitation service providers.
ii.2. Current Situation
Currently, The Rwanda utilities Regulatory Authority regulates three main sanitation services:
- Solid waste collection and transportation services:
These are services provided to households and institutions as well as public areas such as markets, hospitals, etc. Operators in this domain are composed of companies, cooperatives and individuals providing solid waste collection and transportation services. See the list of licensed operators.
- Wastewater treatment services:
These are services provided in regards to wastewater treatment services. The regulation targets mainly decentralized wastewater installers and operators providing services of decentralized wastewater treatment plants installations and operations.
- Cleaning services:
These are services related to general cleaning of buildings, gardens and public places.
ii.3. Legal and Regulatory framework
The following are tools that help the regulation of sanitation:
- National Sanitation policy
- National Sanitation Policy Implementation Strategy
- Law No 9/2013 of 01/03/2013 establishing Rwanda Utilities Regulatory Authority (RURA) and determining its mission, powers, organisation and functioning.
- Regulation N°004/R/SAN-EWS/RURA/2016 OF 10/11/2016 Governing Decentralized Waste Water Treatment Systems
- Regulations governing the provision of services for Hazardous waste management
- Regulations No 005/R/SAN-EWS/RURA/2016 Governing Liquid Waste Collection and Transportation
- Regulation N? 006/R/SAN-EWS/RURA/020 of 29/05/2020 Governing Cleaning Service Provision
ii.4. Current licensed operators in Sanitation tSub-Sector
- List of Solid Waste Collection and Transportation Services as of 31 may, 2020
- List of Cleaning Service Operators With Valid Licenses as of 31 May, 2020
- List of Licensed Operators in Solid Waste Recycling Services as of 31 May, 2020
- List of Licensees in Liquid Waste Water Treatment System –Installation License as of 31 May, 2020
- Licensed Operators in Treatment of Hazardous Waste Management (as of 31 May, 2020)
- List of Licensees in liquid Waste Collection and Transportation as of 31 May, 2020
iii. Useful Links for the Water and sanitation stakeholders in Rwanda
The following are links related to water and sanitation: