RURA mandate in the sanitation sub-sector is to promote sanitation through regulation of sanitation services.
The responsibility of the sanitation regulation is to establish regulatory tools necessary for the sound regulation of sanitation services in Rwanda, licensing sanitation service provision, monitor compliance by licensees with license terms and conditions through audits and inspections conducted to sanitation service providers and analyze reports from sanitation service providers.
ii.2. Current Situation
Currently, The Rwanda utilities Regulatory Authority regulates three main sanitation services:
- Solid waste collection and transportation services:
These are services provided to households and institutions as well as public areas such as markets, hospitals, etc. Operators in this domain are composed of companies, cooperatives and individuals providing solid waste collection and transportation services. See the list of licensed operators.
- Wastewater treatment services:
These are services provided in regards to wastewater treatment services. The regulation targets mainly decentralized wastewater installers and operators providing services of decentralized wastewater treatment plants installations and operations.
- Cleaning services:
These are services related to general cleaning of buildings, gardens and public places.
ii.3. Legal and Regulatory framework
The following are tools that help the regulation of sanitation:
- The Organic law no 04/2005 determining the modalities of protection, safeguard and promote the environment in Rwanda, 2005;
- Law No 9/2013 of 01/03/2013establishing Rwanda Utilities Regulatory Authority (RURA) and determining its mission, powers, organisation and functioning.
- The water and sanitation policy and strategy 2010
- Ministerial Order N°4/DC/04 of 07/06/2004 prescribing annual fees payable by public utilities
- Regulations on solid waste collection and transportation, 2012;
- Regulations on decentralized wastewater treatment systems, 2012;
- Regulations on cleaning services, 2012;
- Guidelines on liquid waste disposal and treatment, 2009;
- Guidelines on standards for the management of waste disposal sites/Landfills, 2009.
ii.4. Current licensed operators in Sanitation
iii. Useful Links for the Water and sanitation stakeholders in Rwanda
The following are links related to water and sanitation: